Friday, May 16, 2008

Grooming Airedale Puppies - "Starting to Look Like a Real Airedale!"

Here's Amy at about four months. This wasn't really her first 'airecut'. I had hand stripped her coat. Hand stripping the old outer coat isn't painful to the dog, but Amy was very young and her stripping & grooming sessions were quite short at first and gradually extended as her patience and tolerance grew.

We invested in a folding grooming table from Pet Supply House (next day delivery!) complete with noose and this baby took to it remarkable well. In addition to a toolkit of stripping knives, I also like the stripping stones for removing dead fluff. And David is fond of a few stripping "gloves" that work really well especially for puppies because you can gently incorporate grooming into play sessions. Whoopee!

Notice the great gooming on a mature bitch in this wonderful airedale pic borrowed from http://www.breederretriever.com. One thing is certain, if you want to showcase the features of your airedale puppy, you'll have to groom it. Hopefully someday Amy's airecut will resemble this fine example.... sigh!

1 comment:

Cassidy said...

Hi Amy,

My name is Cassidy and I live with my biog brother Harry, and my mummy and daddy. Mymummy hand strips my coat. I am 10 months old now and it's good and wiry already. Mummy does say it's like having a part time job keeping on top of it though, tee hee!

Stop by our blog and say hello sometime.

Nibbles
Cassidy x